- ABOUT US
- Bumper Plates
29,Aug reviewed by Robert Johnson
When I decided to pursue my dream of opening my own fitness studio, I knew equipment costs would be a major investment. However, I quickly learned that not all gym equipment is created equal when it comes to meeting the demands of running a full-service commercial facility.
In this post, I'll share the insights I gained through extensive research into the features, brands, and pricing of high-end commercial gym equipment to help other entrepreneurs budget and plan for outfitting a professional gym or workout space.
The cardio area is the heart of any successful gym, so purchasing durable and feature-rich cardio machines is a must. Here's an overview of what to expect:
- Treadmills - Quality commercial treadmills start around $4,000 and go up significantly from there. Look for powerful motors, advanced cushioning and controls.
- Ellipticals - Expect to invest $3,500 to $6,000+ in a heavy-duty elliptical. Prioritize stability, resistance range, and weight capacity.
- Exercise Bikes - Upright bikes start around $2,500, while recumbent bikes fall in the $4,000 to $6,000 range. Add $500+ for electronic shifting and integrated screens.
- Rowers - Leading commercial rower brands range $2,000-$4,000 based on console features, resistance settings, and overall build quality.
- Stair Climbers - Budget $4,000 to $6,500+ for a high-end commercial stair stepper with incline/speed variability and advanced tracking.
From dumbbells to multipurpose rigs, commercial strength training equipment must withstand intense daily use. Here are typical price points:
- Weight Benches - Adjustable benches range $300-$1,000 based on thickness, maximum weight, and premium materials like upholstery.
- Power Racks - Expect to invest $2,000-$5,000 in a commercial power rack with a high weight capacity, pull-up bars, and accessories.
- Cable Machines - Commercial cable crossover units with 200+ lbs stack capacity run $5,000-$10,000+ depending on attachments included.
- Plate Loaded Machines - Quality plate loaded line like Hammer Strength ranges $3,000-$10,000 per station for unparalleled durability.
- Olympic Weights - Top Olympic plate sets meet strict quality standards. Budget $800-$1,500 for a 245 lb set plus $500+ for a 7-foot bar.
- Kettlebells - Commercial grade kettlebells cost $100-$250 each depending on weight. Budget $3,000+ to outfit a full set.
- Dumbbells - Hex rubber dumbbell sets run $3,000 for a 120-pound 5-50 lb set. Add individual racks for $500+.
While equipping a commercial gym has considerable upfront costs, the return on investment from purchasing durable equipment that enhances your services makes the expense worthwhile. With some savvy shopping and smart budgeting, any fitness entrepreneur can turn their dream gym into a reality.